These are the streaming resources available to the Canisius community. When off-campus, you'll need to log in to MyCanisius.
The library may be able to purchase streaming media for course use. Please note that streaming licenses can be costly, if they are available at all. Many films are unavailable in streaming formats that libraries can purchase. As a result, many of our films are only available on DVD or Blu-Ray.
If a film is not available through our streaming services, please check non-library streaming platforms by searching for the title in Just Watch or Telescope (best for international films). This will tell you what platforms are available and if there is a cost or subscription needed. A note for titles in languages other than English: try searching the English translation first, and if that does not work try the original title or try searching one of the actors.
Faculty might ask students to rent the film via a subscription service such as Netflix, Vimeo, Hulu, YouTube, or Amazon Prime. Many students have subscriptions to one or more of these so they may be able to access the film(s) needed for a course. Vimeo and YouTube also have some free content. Please check these services for material that would be useful to your course.
Academic Video Online (AVON) is the most comprehensive video subscription available to libraries. It delivers ~ 68,000 titles spanning the widest range of subject areas including anthropology, business, counseling, film, health, history, music, and more. Our collection includes videos from American History in Video, Counseling and Therapy in Video (v.1-4), Education in Video (v1), Filmakers Library and Human Rights Studies Online. AVON adds and removes titles regularly, here is their list of these changes.
A number of openly accessible Internet sites provide access to streaming videos. Advertising supports some of these sites. Searching functions on these sites vary widely, and content can change or be removed without notice. Please remember that fair use requirements still apply and you must cite the source as necessary.
Kanopy is a streaming video database. The library has access to the following titles.
Over 50 streaming videos of classic and contemporary Cuban films in their original language, with option of including English subtitles. This collection includes, but is not limited to the following films:
Guidelines for Streaming Video Requests
The Library welcomes faculty requests for streaming to support coursework and instructional use.
• Purchases will be made in accordance with the following guidelines. If you have additional questions, contact Lisa Sullivan (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please read the guidelines prior to placing a purchase request.
• Purchase is not guaranteed.
• Streaming rights are expensive. Due to this, costs can mount rapidly, and quickly become unsustainable.
• Please provide us with ample lead time, as it is hard to fulfill requests made on short notice. Allow at least 2 weeks for a response; try to submit requests before the start of the semester. Requests placed on weekends will be processed the following business week. More time may be needed if the college is required to sign a license for the film.
• Requests must be made by Canisius faculty and tied to course instruction. Other requests will not be approved. Any use outside of the classroom or Library Reserve may require Public Performance Rights, which the library does not purchase.
• Institutional streaming rights differ from those available to individuals so some titles may not be available for library purchase. Works that you might see in film festivals and screenings are not available for purchase with institutional licensing. Current documentary and commercial content are not available for purchase with institutional licensing.
• Before submitting requests, please consider the following when making requests: Cost, License Terms and alternate streaming titles. Please check our other streaming resources for other titles on the subject to see if they will fit your needs. https://libguides.canisius.edu/streaming/video
• If we purchase access to the title, faculty will receive an email with relevant instructions when streaming media is available for use. Once faculty have received this email, students will be able to view the content from the relevant database.
Streaming videos available through Kanopy are moderated by the library. Titles that have already been licensed are freely available to Canisius College students, faculty, and staff.
• Unlike most databases, which provide a collection of films for a relatively predictable annual fee, Kanopy rates start at $120.00/film per year. Kanopy streaming is leased content, and will need to be re-purchased yearly.
Other streaming providers
• Please send an email to email@example.com with the title requested, class requested for and a link to the streaming video provider. Please use the subject Faculty streaming video request.
Alexander Street Press - AVON
We offer the 67,000+ title catalog from AVON but once in awhile we can purchase other titles. Please email the library if Alexander Street does offer a title not in AVON so we can investigate it. You can also suggest titles to Alexander Street.